Below is a video of Louis van Gaal conducting a presentation on management, vision and the preparation he and his staff underwent to prepare for the World Cup. Provided are some talking points and key quotes which convey the mindset of the new Manchester United manager. One thing is for sure. Louis van Gaal has a plan.
Follow Eddie on Twitter
- “My mother taught that preparation is half the work. And she only completed primary school.”
- “Training, analysis, and evaluation…..And that’s of course not something I can do alone. Because I do not have the wisdom…and you can laugh, because my image says I know everything. I listen to specialists. Do you too?”
- “You need to surround yourself with a great staff. We need to have the best team to support the players”
- “Vision is not limited to the game itself. Vision can be applied to people. It can be applied to society.”
- “What unites us? The game and how it’s played.”
- LVG feels transparency and clarity are key in communicating his philosophy to his players.
- LVG felt he failed in 2001 with Dutch national team because of an error in his selection process (10 Ajax players who he coached before who didn’t take his trust as they did previously). In 2013, he told players they would be selected on form and fitness.
- LVG also shows his knack for preparation by talking about an index which measures the effect of humidity, wind and temperature on the human body in relation to weather. van Gaal felt being more fit would gives his players a better chancee especially in cases of high humidity.
- LVG and his team contacted professors to research the best way to deal with jet-lag
- Trained in Portugal to best mimic the conditions
- LVG showed his players Barcelona and Spain to demonstrate his philosophy and how he wanted them to play He also used these examples to show how he wanted to improve it. He prefers using a true number 9 rather than a false number like Messi.
Enjoy the video! Thanks for reading!