In June 2017 Fans favourite Michael Carrick played in his testimonial game with all proceeds going to his foundation.
- Carrick scores from 25 yards at Old Trafford to level the scores between Man Utd 2008 and an All-Star XI
- Sir Alex Ferguson among those to return for testimonial, celebrating Carrick’s 11 years at the club
- 69,000 turn out at Old Trafford to help raise money for the Michael Carrick Foundation
- Carrick’s United: Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville, Wes Brown, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Mikael Silvestre, Patrice Evra, Michael Carrick, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Ji-sung Park, Owen Hargreaves, Anderson (injured), Darren Fletcher, Wayne Rooney, Louis Saha, Dimitar Berbatov.
- Carrick’s All-Star XI: Shay Given, Phil Neville, Michel Salgado, Jamie Carragher, John Terry, Eric Abidal, Joan Capdevila, Steven Gerrard (injured), Frank Lampard, Marcos Senna, Gaizka Mendieta, Clarence Seedorf, Damien Duff, Richard Garcia, Michael Owen, Robbie Keane, Eidur Gudjohnsen.
The game ended 2-2 in a fantastic match in which Carrick scored the equalizer. Everyone in the stadium and players on the pitch were standing to cheer for the midfielder. What a game and what a send off.
Sire Alex Ferguson made a guest appearance at the club and was also greeted with huge applause from the players and fans in attendance. Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes came back to provide pure entertainment. Even Roy Keaner and Saha played their part.
Sir Alex Ferguson on Carrick taking coaching badges:
“I know about that and I spoke to Michael about it, I encouraged all the players to do that [to work with young players] and most have done it. It’s really important.
“A lot of players don’t do anything in the afternoon after training. They go home and sit in the house, watching television or whatever. But I think they should take a keen interest in the game.
Fans of the club will know that Michael Carrick has stayed on and is now an important part of the management and training team.
Did you go to the game, how was the atmosphere? Leave your comments below.
What do you think? Leave a Comment Below.