Fletcher equalizer saves United against Magpies

Manchester United started the 2008-2009 season with a 1-1 home draw against Kevin Keegan side’s Newcastle United. Sir Alex Ferguson side was missing main players like Ronaldo and Tevez who supposed to start the game but he was ruled out because of a family bereavement in Argentina, leaving Sir Alex to start with Rooney and Campbell up front, meaning that there would no strikers on the bench.

United started the game attacking Newcastle goal. The first thread became the third minute when Fraizer Campbell was fouled by Fabricio Coloccini to give United a free-kick which was taken by Ryan Giggs. Giggs Kick was blocked by James Milner’s arm inside the box, but referee Mike Riley did not blow for a penalty which could change the game for United. After 3 minutes of that Wayne Rooney crossed the ball to Campbell who met the ball with a nice aerial head but Given was lucky that the ball somehow hit his head. Then a good effort from Scholes was blocked by Given when the Irish keeper saved his center shoot On the 17th minute.

On 22 minutes Obafemi Martins opened the score for Newcastle when he converted James Milner’s corner from the right side by heading the ball into the far corner of Van der Sar goal. However, Manchester United needed only 2 minutes to equalize by Fletcher when he met Campbell pass after Rooney cross by a quick run to the near post and finish it past Given who has no chance to clear the ball.

Newcastle defender has made an impressive display to clear away most of United chances to win the game. Coloccini and former United man’s Nicky Butt have blocked dangerous chances by Campbell in the first minutes and Rooney in the 2nd half.

Manchester United could have win the game in the last fifteen minutes but all Vidic efforts to score from corners have been gone away as Newcastle defenders were in their day to clear any threat.

In the stoppage time, the referee was once again denied a penalty for Manchester United when young Brazilian substitution Rafael was tackled by Nicky Butt on the edge of the Newcastle United box. The referee only gave a free kick which was taken by Wayne Rooney over the wall just wide of Given’s left-hand post where the referee blown his whistle for full time end the game 1-1.

It is clear that Manchester United are missing injured players during the game and Sir Alex Ferguson should not only buy a striker, but also another back up midfielder If Owen Hargreaves and Ronaldo injuries will take more time.

Written by
View all articles
Instagram has returned empty data. Please authorize your Instagram account in the plugin settings .
Editor Written by Editor